Post Title: National Project Officer (1 post)
Contract Type Service Contract
Duration: 6 months (with possible extension)
Duty Station: Dili, Timor - Leste
Expected Starting date: December 2011
Organizational Unit: UNDP, Poverty Reduction and Environment unit
Entitlements/Benefits: Please obtain from the UNDP Human Resources Unit
A. Background and Organizational Context:
INFUSE is a UNCDF program implemented jointly with UNDP and the Ministry of Economy and Development from 2008 to 2012. The purpose of the INFUSE program is to increase access to sustainable financial services for the low income population by providing technical assistance, training, and loan capital to financial service providers. This project is managed by the INFUSE program team Chief Technical Adviser (CTA) and reports to the Management Committee for Inclusive Finance (MCIF: comprised of the Ministry of Economy and Development and donors to the program). The National Project Officer (NPO) will have the overall responsibility of day to day program coordination and support under the direct supervision and guidance of the CTA. The NPO will work in close collaboration with an Administrative / Finance Officer. Program information can be found at: www.pfip.org/infuse.
B. Functions and Responsibilities / Key Results Expected
The NPO plays a key role in the INFUSE team in providing timely and high quality communications, operational, and reporting support and coordination for the implementation of all program activities. The NPO also works in close collaboration with UNDP’s Operations & Support Teams to ensure coordination and conformity to UNDP’s established administrative, procurement, reporting rules, processes and standards. S/he will also assist in liaising with the MCIF members, partners and stakeholders.
The key function is to provide daily coordination of program activities, and provide assistance and support to the program team in the implementation of INFUSE program activities to achieve successful implementation of the INFUSE program.
1. Assist in the administration and implementation of program delivery through various reporting systems, processes and procedures, and support results-based management. (Result: INFUSE contracting, awards, payments, and reporting will be completed quickly, transparently and without error.)
- Write and consolidate reports
- Assist in the preparation of regular program reports.
- Present information/reports for identification of areas for support and interventions.
- Research and resolve questions related to processing of Performance Based Agreements and procurement of services.
- Collect, review, consolidate reports from partners, ensuring completeness and accuracy.
- Coordination and management of day to day administrative and operational activities for the INFUSE
- Serve as the responsible focal point for program monitoring and evaluation, and UNDP country
program reporting and planning
- Organize and facilitate workshops and meetings with partners and stakeholders.
- Provide guidance on administrative and operational policies and procedure to the INFUSE team and
to the partners on routine implementation of projects.
- Analyze and identify operational and administrative problems, and develop creative solutions.
- Assist in processing of staff/workshop participants travel in line with procedures.
2. Coordinate and provide administrative support and assistance to the Team in implementing the program. (Result: INFUSE has necessary support to efficiently and quickly process contracts and awards, travel, and requests for information.)
- Coordinate with other INFUSE team members in conducting Administrative, Finance and Logistical
functions and ensure timely and effective implementation of project activities;
- Organize receipt of proposals and requests from potential partners.
- Assist in preparing and processing performance based agreements.
- Assist in the recruitment and contracting of short-term consultants and other procurement services
- Manage and monitor the timely receipt of partner reports.
- Assist in the follow up on reports from partners, including aggregating basic information and data
- Assist in the preparation of annual work plans and results reporting and conduct data collection as
- Work closely with other departments for the consolidation of reports to UNDP and UNCDF
- Prepare monthly progress updates, Quarterly and Annual reports to the GoTL, MCIF, UNCDF and
- Manage travel and logistical arrangements for INFUSE staff and for visiting missions and in
obtaining visas for staff and consultants traveling to the field.
- Maintain good communication and build relationships and networks with relevant ministries and
government offices such as the MoED as well as key partners and stakeholders.
- Transfer knowledge on program policies and procedures to local partners.
3. Support to the effective functioning of the MCIF (Result: Regular MCIF run smoothly, requests
are met quickly, efficiently and respectfully, and all meetings and correspondence with the
Committee is tracked and archived)
- Provide timely support to the MCIF in terms of effective communications, organization of meetings,
calls, and videoconferences and ensure timely reporting.
- Prepare documentation for MCIF meetings, prepare minutes, and track follow up.
- Compile reports on project awards, track disbursements and expenditures against benchmarks.
- Assist in tracking and reporting on mobilized resources.
4. Support to Implementing Partners. (Result: relationships and partnerships developed, and mutual
obligations met efficiently and respectfully)
- Assist the implementing partners to comply with Performance Based Agreement obligations,
- Provide information from INFUSE and assist with finding answers to queries.
- Arrange meetings and maintain communication channels.
- Identify solutions for problems encountered by partners during project implementation
- Research and collect information on partners that is presented in the media or public forums.
5. Participation in knowledge building and knowledge sharing. (Result: INFUSE is viewed as a
reliable, organized, and transparent source of information and takes the lead on sharing information
with stakeholders in Timor Leste and the region.)
- Coordinate with UNDP and UNCDF’s communications and knowledge management teams.
- Disseminate information on the program to stakeholders and partners.
- Coordinate and /liaise with editors, translators, and printers of INFUSE reports, briefs and other
knowledge products before publishing
- Maintain knowledge product database of external materials collected by INFUSE staff.
- Liaise with regional centers, UNDP country offices and development partners for information sharing
- Manage logistical arrangements for conferences/workshops/meetings undertaken by the INFUSE
- Create information packages, letters of invitation relevant to upcoming events
5. Enhanced learning and professional development. (Result: Program Assistant is up to date on the
latest skills and training needed to efficiently support the INFUSE team.)
- Enroll and completion of online learning courses – including mandatory UNDP courses related to
Atlas, internal processes
- Participate in training and capacity development activities
- Pro-actively learn about the INFUSE program and microfinance sector to effectively support the
program and its partners, and reporting obligations.
C. Functional Competencies and Critical Success Factors:
In addition to specific job tasks, the NPO is expected to carry out their work with professional
standards demonstrating the skills and behaviors as listed below.
- Ability to organize and perform a variety of specialized tasks simultaneously related to Results
Management, including administrative support to design, planning and implementation of program,
managing data, reporting.
- Pro-actively follows up with others to advance tasks
- Provides guidance on policies and procedures
- Follows through on assignments to completion as per deadlines
Leadership and Self-Management
- Demonstrates responsibility for one’s own work and actions
- Focuses on results for the client and responds positively to feedback
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude
- Remains calm, in control and good humored even under pressure
- Interacts with others in a professional, respectful, and friendly manner
- Pro-active, takes initiative and creatively provides solutions to problems
- Completes tasks efficiently and with minimum supervisory follow up
- Manages own time and tasks effectively and efficiently
- Carefully checks own work for accuracy and completeness
Knowledge Management and Learning
- Shares knowledge and experience
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning, and applies newly acquired skills
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities.
D. Recruitment Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree is preferred in finance, business administration, economics, accounting, marketing or a related field.
- Combination of educational background and work experience acceptable as follows: 2 years work experience with master’s degree; 4 years with bachelor’s degree, Work experience must be relevant, with progressive levels of responsibility.
- Experience in managing reports
- Experience working in a manner that achieves outputs, deliverables and results;
- Experience coordinating/managing own work
- Experience with a UN organization/agency is desirable
- Excellent writing, communication and organization skills;
- Able to demonstrate high level of accuracy and attention to detail
- Strong written and spoken skill of the UN working language (English) of the duty station.
Knowledge of Portuguese, Tetum and/or Bahasa Indonesia preferred
Please submit your applications together with curriculum vitae, P11 form including a list of references, academic qualification and relevant supporting documents to the following address:
Human Resources Unit
UN House Caicoli Street
Dili, Timor Leste
Fax: + 670 331 3534
The deadline for submitting applications is 14 October 2011.
Only short-listed candidates will be notified. Women candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.